Squeak Web applications

Michael Rueger m.rueger at acm.org
Mon Apr 10 17:47:20 UTC 2000

Torsten.Bergmann at phaidros.com wrote:

> Squeak supports a lot of platforms - so what would be the best way to
> develop a Squeak-application for different platforms that is available over
> the internet ? (Similar to a Java client/applet but using Squeak)

Use Squeaklets ;-)

You can download either source and compile it on the client side or use
code stored in image segments.

The big caveat though is security. There was a long thread about this
some time ago on this mailing list.

> What about the state of Squeak running inside of web browsers other
> than IE?
Have a look at this directory:
http://wwwisg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de/~raab/squeak/plugin

The version is really old though.
Andreas, is there a public newer version somewhere?

> Can Squeak run as a netscape plugin already ? If so, which platforms
Yes.

> are supported? Will I be able to see my Squeak image inside of Netscape on
> Linux like on Windows with the ActiveX ? What about Mac, OS/2 and BeOS ?

Yes, you will :-)
Versions of the plugin basically exist for PC, Mac and **ix, but AFAIK
they are all different.

Michael