To make String and Symbol ANSI compliant regarding #=

Andrew C. Greenberg werdna at gate.net
Sun Apr 16 00:27:32 UTC 2000

>- removing #= from String (semantically, means it has to be the same
>result as SequenceableCollection>>=).

Have you benchmarked this one?  String>>#= calls a primitive to
compare string elements.  SequencableCollection loops through the
interpreter cycle.  I'll bet the costs are substantial for plain
string-string comparisons.

I only briefly scanned the thread, noting benchmarks considering the
elimination of Symbol>>#.  Here, the impact is on ordinary
string-string comparisons, which can be significant for large strings.

Please forgive if I am rehashing old news. . .
Andrew C. Greenberg		acg at netwolves.com
V.P. Eng., R&D, 		813.885.2779 (office)
Netwolves Corporation		813.885.2380 (facsimile)
www.netwolves.com