[Question]Resourses stored in the image

Bob Arning arning at charm.net
Tue Apr 25 15:49:21 UTC 2000

On Tue, 25 Apr 2000 16:24:57 +0200 Karl Ramberg <karl.ramberg at chello.se> wrote:
>when a resourse like a picture or a sound is read into the image and
>used in a program how does one go about to look at or inspect or
>change that later?
>I'm used to the Macintosh way of storing such stuff as resources.
>Is there such a thing in Squeak that I overlooked ?

Karl,

There are a variety of ways.

If you open a FileList and point it at a file, the popup menu on the list of files may offer (based on recognizing the file suffix) some choice about how you might use that file. For instance, if (suffix = 'bmp') | (suffix = 'gif') | (suffix = 'jpg') | (suffix = 'form') | (suffix = '*'), then you will be offered three ways to view the (presumed) graphic. See FileList>>itemsForFileEnding: for the complete picture.

If you have a reference to a Form, you can send it the message #bitEdit and you get (when in Morphic) a FatBitsPaint which lets you do quite a bit of doodling.

Similarly, sounds have a variety of tools for playing and/or graphically viewing. See the classes in the category Sound-Interface.

Cheers,
Bob