[Unix] Cross-compiling Squeak

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Tue Apr 11 21:50:59 UTC 2000

"Raab, Andreas" <Andreas.Raab at disney.com> wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I need to cross-compile Squeak for a different platform and I wonder if
> anyone has experience on how to configure Squeak using the automated
> configuration scripts. Also, has anyone out there lately tried to setup
> Squeak manually (e.g., without using the configure script)?! What needs to
> be done/defined/run to make it work?!

Bleck.  Autoconf really irks me.  Even Ian's older auto-configuring
makefiles annoy me to an extent.  They make for great demos, but when
they don't work, you have to reverse engineer what the silly things are
trying to do.  I've spent countless amounts of time trying to decide why
some autoconf script decided I didn't have X libraries installed, when I
perfectly well knew that I did.

What ever happened to having a simple config.h file?!  They are easy to
work with, they are reliable, and they don't surprise you.  And (gasp)
they let you make an occasional decision, instead of just steamrolling
through a bunch of defaults.

Oh well.  The GNU world doesn't listen to me.

To get back to the point, you might try just doing "make gnu-interp.c",
and then using gcc with the correct flags for cross-compiling on "*.c"
....  I think Squeak is so simple, that the makefiles are more
complicated than the actual code layout....

-Lex