MorphDock (was: RE: UI Opinions)

Norton, Chris chrisn at Kronos.com
Wed Apr 26 15:15:17 UTC 2000

Hi Folks.

Russell Allen had some great ideas concerning a MorphDock.  I have given
much thought to this idea as well.  Please add this item to his wish list:

+  You should be able to tear/copy a minimized morph off of the dock and put
it anywhere on your desktop

In addition to a minimized morph dock, wouldn't it be great to have another
morph dock that showed a reference (view as icon or as label) for every
morph on in your World?  Of course, I don't mean all of the submorphs of a
Browser, but I do mean all menus, SystemWindows, StarMorphs, etc. in your
World, referenced on a dock.  Then we could add the following kinds of
properties to this special dock:

-> center morph (if it is off screen, it would be brought to the center of
your World)
-> hide morph (put it off of the screen somewhere)
-> minimize morph (to the other morph dock)
-> maximize morph
-> copy/duplicate morph
-> throw away morph (to trash can)
-> delete morph (get rid of all references to it)
-> inspect/browse/explore morph
-> fileout morph (file in would be possible too, if you could create a morph
dock that represents a disk directory)
-> select several morphs at once and then perform some activity on them
(i.e. minimize, round up, etc.)

... the possibilities are limitless.  I think this would be a great addition
to a morphic project.

I have long thought that one of my key problems with morphs is that it can
be difficult to affect a particular change to many morphs at once.  With a
mechanism like this, one could change the border width for all "window"
morphs to 1 bit, or to a particular color, etc.  I have a long list of other
features along these lines that are gathering dust at home.  If there is
interest, I'll try to round 'em up.

Cheers,

---==> Chris