implementing sandboxes with capabilities

Bijan Parsia bparsia at email.unc.edu
Tue Apr 11 10:24:29 UTC 2000

On Tue, 11 Apr 2000, Richard A. O'Keefe wrote:

[snip]

> On a PowerMac, some kind of warning box saying something about "drivers"
> flashed up and flicked away again before I could read it properly, but
> the BookMorph then came up and looked reasonable.

Most likely this was (paraphrase): "Squeak is now initializing Network
Drivers. Warning this may take up to 30 seconds and you won't be able to
interrupt".

I guess it doesn't take *close* to 30 seconds on your machine ;)

(Amusing irrelevant note: Our school's computer store had some sale items
out on display with a sign reading:

	<smalltype>up to</smalltype>
	<hugetype>50% OFF</hugetype>
	<smalltype>or more</smalltype>

I laughted long and loud when I read this.)

[snip]
> There are plenty of free dictionaries on the net, such as the ones that
> the W3C provide with Amaya.  Are there any plans to provide some kind of
> spelling check facility for BookMorphs?

Well, there's already a bit of WordNet integration, though that's neither
exactly a dictionary nor a word list. The Scrabble game came with a number
a dictionary/word lists in various languages, though these are more along
the lines of, well, Scrabble dictionaries :) Alas, I've only downloaded
the client code and a brief survey didn't reveal to me the methods used to
check words against the dictionary.

(To the author of the Scrabble game---and I will post this separately---I
thought your Morphic Tutorial was very nice!)

Also, I seem to remember a GATech Squeaker implementing spelling checking
at some point....I'll poke around to see if I can find that message.

Cheers,
Bijan Parsia.