[GOODIE] Personal Information Manager

Joshua Gargus gargus at cs.ualberta.ca
Thu Apr 13 15:26:49 UTC 2000

Hi Stephan,

On Thu, Apr 13, 2000 at 04:59:18PM +0200, Stephan Rudlof wrote:
> Joshua Gargus wrote:
> >
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I've finally whipped my PIM into a semi-releasable state.
> > There are still some rough edges, but I can use it quite
> > efficiently.
> >
> > The file 'organizer.tar.gz' contains a 'readme.txt' file, two
> > changesets (one is optional but suggested, see readme.txt),
> > two '.obj' files which contain icons for the organizer, and
> > 'organizer.morph', which is the documentation for the PIM.
>
> Wow! The organizer.morph is very neat!

Yeesh.  All that work coding the app, and the organizer.morph that I whipped
up in half an hour gets the applause ;-)

You think that's neat... just wait until we have hardware 3d acceleration and
start tossing around embedded Wonderlands!!

> > I just noticed that the file is 329K (mostly due to the
> > documentation morph), so rather than clog the pipes of
> > those with modems, I have placed the file at:
> >
> > http://ugweb.cs.ualberta.ca/~gargus/organizer.tar.gz
> >
> > Until I find a better home for it (on the swiki?)
> >
> > Code, comments, and crushing critiques welcome,
>
> Very first impressions:
> - icons are nice,
> - an example with some example data (appointments, persons, ideas, etc.)
> would be nice,

I'll look into this.

> - not very comprehensible, not easily visible (perhaps I didn't see some
> features...).

Um.  Words don't convey the use of the organizer very well.  I've had similar
explanation problems trying to explain it verbally to friends (and this is
with the aid of hand gestures).  Any specific problems that I can help with?

I'm not sure what you mean by 'not easily visible'.  Unless you deleted the
initially created GUI.  If this is the case, I'll inform you that my mode
of usage consists of putting the GUI button panel in a flap; I don't create
a new one all the time.  Then, I just go to the flap whenever I need a new
something.

Joshua