How to use Celeste?

Richard A. O'Keefe ok at atlas.otago.ac.nz
Mon Apr 10 21:52:34 UTC 2000

	>  I just want to
	> read the mail that is already on my machine in /var/mail/ok.

	Now, I'm no UNIX guru, but the first question I'd have is is
	this a truely local directory?

Yes.  The only time it wouldn't be would be on a diskless machine.

	If so, and if your machine *is* receiving your mail directly,

It is.
		1) To use the "import into category" command. If you are going to
	do this regularly, I'd suggest reworking the "Fetch mail" command to do
	this automatically.

Thanks.
		2) To set up your box as a pop server.

It isn't _my_ box, it's the _department's_ box, and I don't have that level
of control over it.  (Even if it were a Linux box, University policy is that
people with Linux boxes on their desks are not allowed to administer them.)

	Of course, it seems to me at least reasonably likely that you are
	connecting to a pop server with your other email program.

I very much doubt it.  UNIX e-mail was working long before POP was dreamed
of.  Why would they change it?  For what it's worth, the main mail server
here is a DEC/Compac Alpha running OSF/1, and it _does_ have POP support,
but it isn't enabled.  Mail from that machine gets to the Sparc box I'm
using without the aid of POP anywhere along the line.

	> Thanks a lot.  This worked.

	Oh good! Half the battle! What was your smtp server's name?

The domain name of the department's mail server, without any smtp. prefix.

I'm going to demonstrate Squeak in a class later this week, and I now think
I understand Celeste well enough to demonstrate _something_ working...