Mailing list and beyond

Bob Arning arning at charm.net
Thu Apr 20 17:36:59 UTC 2000

Some of the recent discussions on a different way to share information about Squeak have gotten me thinking (or coding, to be more precise). The first step is a respository of about 20 months of the list. If you download

	http://www.charm.net/~arning/SqMailServer.20Apr0923.cs

, file it in (Morphic only and tested in a current 2.8a) and evaluate

	EekMailClientWindow open

then you should see an eekMail browser showing messages on a machine at my home. At the moment it is read-only and about all you can do is navigate through the folders and look at messages. While the code seems to work well locally, this will be the first test over distance. I would avoid large folders/messages until we understand/improve the real-world perfomance. Also, error handling is rudimentary (maybe non-existant is a better word), but that will improve with time.

I cannot guarantee the availability of this server 24x7, but if you email me with times you are likely to try to connect, I'll make an effort to have it running.

Much remains to be done and suggestions/contributions are welcome.

Cheers,
Bob