Go

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Tue Apr 18 16:00:12 UTC 2000

Michael Rueger <m.rueger at acm.org> wrote:

> > Note there are at least two levels of support for these "ICS" servers.
> > First, you can simply support the play of games, and give players a
> > telnet window for doing things like setting up a games.  Second, you can
> > try to automate *all* the commands that ICS supports.  This is a big
> > task, though....
>

> But, you are right, seems like a bit more work than I can put into this
> right now.

Good links.  But I meant to say that the *second* option is a big task.
The first variant, where you just display the boards, ought to be much
more tractable.  All you have to do is set the "style" to an appropriate form,
and then recognize board updates that are sent down the socket.  Board
updates will be easy to recgnize and parse, if you set the style wisely.

Well, you also have to encode the command when the local user tries to
make a move.

Other than these basics, you can just open a telnet-ish window (which is
probably simpler than the full telnet protocol) and let users type the
command themselves.

-Lex