Help: How to change default directory?

Marcus Denker marcus at ira.uka.de
Mon Apr 17 10:09:49 UTC 2000

On Fri, Apr 14, 2000 at 08:00:20PM +0200, Jean_David RUVINI wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have installed Squeak (Linux version) for my students. The problem I have is
> that they do not have enough disc space to copy the image and the changes
> files in their home directory.

-> The .changes can be made a lot smaller. The changefile contains the source
   of all improvements since version2. It is possible to move the contents
   of the change-file to a new .sources:

     Smalltalk condenseSources.

   It is a good idea to rename the Source-file (e.g SqueakV2a.sources).

     -> copy the source-file to SqueakV2a.sources
     -> edit SystemDictionary>>sourcesName
     -> Save the image (as Squeak2.7a.image)

   So. Now the .changes file is very small:

-rw-rw-r--   1 marcus   marcus        225 Apr 17 11:41 Squeak2.7.changes

-> Squeak (normally) does not need to write to SqueakV2.sources. So use
   Symbolic Links to a shared global read-only copy.

Every user need the following files:

-rw-r--r--   1 marcus   marcus      36620 Apr 17 11:34 ReadMe.txt
-rw-rw-r--   1 marcus   marcus        225 Apr 17 11:41 Squeak2.7.changes
-rw-r--r--   1 marcus   marcus    6287780 Apr 17 11:41 Squeak2.7.image
lrwxrwxrwx   1 marcus   marcus         34 Apr 17 11:43 SqueakV2.sources ->
/usr/share/squeak/SqueakV2.sources

6.5MB, if this is too large you can try to make the .image smaller. (like
closing some of the "play with me" windows, or removing parts of the
Class-lib. Look at the "shrinking" cathegory of SystemDictionary and strip
everything you don't need.

I have written a Squeak-wrapper-script. When called for the first time,
the script ("squeak") copies all needed files (image, changes,
link to Sources, readme) to the directory ~/.squeak, sets the
environment variables SQUEAK_IMAGE and LD_LIBRARY_PATH (for the plugins),
and finally starts the VM. When installed in a directory that is in the
$PATH of the users, they only need to type in "squeak" to start playing.

    ftp://ftp.ira.uka.de/pub/squeak/misc/

(you need to change some of the path-names to your squeak-installation)

  Marcus

--
Marcus Denker marcus at ira.uka.de phone at home:(0721)614235 @work:(0721)608-2749
The Difference between today and yesterday is not so much what has changed