Win Tims Money! a.k.a. find my sockets bug!

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Sat Apr 22 01:04:31 UTC 2000

John M McIntosh wrote:

> > All -
> > Duane wrote
> > I'll raise the ante another US$75 (that's nearly 8000 yen!)
>
> Duane, sorry I think it's a $1.00 from Tim, and $75 from you.

Well I offered $75 so $75 I pay; it's the old story of the mechanic.

This guy went to a garage to get his car fixed. The grizzled old
mechanic went out to look at the offending vehicle and stared at it for
a moment, then listened for a while before getting out a mallet and
tapping delicately on the left side fraggler. "That'lll be $75 " he
says. "WHAT!" quoth the customer, "it only took you five minutes!". "And
what about the fifty years experience that avoided it taking me six
hours?" asked the mech.

SO I think John's several hours of staring at his debugger and wondering
is well worth $75 of my money. I've spent way more than that on it, and
I'm really miffed that I didn't spot it almost instantly. It can't be
more than a couple of years since an almost identical problem bit me.
Must be getting senile.

tim