InputSensor still polling?

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Fri Apr 28 10:29:06 UTC 2000

Dan Ingalls <Dan.Ingalls at disney.com> wrote:

> I believe that once we had that state of affairs, then peer pressure would bring about the necessary implementation on the remaining platforms, with no single one constituting a greatly onerous burden.

By any chance does anyone have a copy of the Unix version of this I sent
around last summer?  I put it on the Swiki, and since then the Swiki has
lost its files, my computer has crashed, and I've returned the laptop I
developped the code on.  If anyone has either of the two files, I'd love
to have a copy.  :(

Here's the message I sent around:

	http://www.egroups.com/message/squeak/4491?&start=4478

Figuring out how to make the new system compatible actually took a
little bit of thought.  The message also has some suggestions for
updating the VM's.

Now why didn't inertia and peer pressure take over after I posted this?
If I recall, the problem at the time was to define what exactly the VM
interface should look like.  Somehow it ended up on Squeak Central's
laden plate, and since then they've had much more exciting things to
work on.   The version I sent around was specifically for mouse and
keyboard events, but there was talk that we should have some sort of
general event mechanism.

Personally, I'm not sold on the idea of waiting for a general event
mechanism.  First, what exactly would the other events would be?
Furthermore, what is it about an event system that is complicated enough
to make it worth generalizing?  An event system has a queue, and a
primitive or two to query the queue--this doesn't sound like a terrible
burden even if it has to be implemented from scratch a few times.

Finally, regarding window resizes, let's not forget someone has posted a
very simple in-image way to deal with window resizes.  No VM mods are
required....

-Lex