Warning! Two Newbie questions! (GC Stuff)

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Mon Apr 17 07:29:02 UTC 2000

> I'm new to Squeak, and Smalltalk in general.  I've posted some stuff here
> already, but there was an actual intro.
>
> I've a couple questions about Squeak.
>
> I know Smalltalk does automagic garbage collection.  But what does it
> collect?

Garbage collection just happens. Objects that you no longer can access are
at some point are marked as free so the memory they consumed can be reused.
This of course is the simple answer.

A while back I wrote some papers and a presentation on the topic. You can
find it here http://www.smalltalkconsulting.com/papers/GCPaper/index.htm

Custom Macintosh programming & various Smalltalk dialects
PGP Key: DSS/Diff/46FC3BE6
Fingerprint=B22F 7D67 92B7 5D52 72D7  E94A EE69 2D21 46FC 3BE6