OFFTOPIC applefile (was Re: [Enh] Music Editor)

Bob Arning arning at charm.net
Sun Apr 30 23:02:49 UTC 2000

On Mon, 1 May 2000 00:40:33 danielv at netvision.net.il wrote:
>Just wondering, could some Mac guy explain what this appledouble stuff
>is? can help but wonder, we'll have to make them transparent in Celeste
>someday... ;-)

The AppleSingle/AppleDouble file format specification was originally designed to facilitate storage of Macintosh files on A/UX. It has been generalized to allow storage across a variety of platforms. More information on this file format is contained in Chapter 6 of the A/UX 2.0 manual, A/UX Toolbox: Macintosh ROM Interface. It is also available as a separate document titled "AppleSingle/AppleDouble Formats for Foreign Files Developer's Note." This document is available in printed form from APDA, and in electronic form on the Developer CD Series disc and on AppleLink in the Developer Support folder.

see also:

http://til.info.apple.com/techinfo.nsf/artnum/n2894

http://til.info.apple.com/tilarchive.nsf/artnum/n16333

Cheers,