Signage on Acorn?

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Sat Apr 22 03:39:45 UTC 2000

>> > The REALLY odd thing is that the Acorn stuff works just fine and yet it
>> > uses the same .c file as the linux VM for sockets, so clearly it is not
>> > some huge error affecting all platforms.
>> >
>> > So, roll up, roll up, for the Tim's Socket Challenge!
>> >
>> > tim
>>
>> Hey Tim, now you get to explain why the Acorn version works eh? Which
>> compiler isn't standard?
>
> Quoting the gcc manual section 2.2, describing an option:
>
> -funsigned-char
>
> Let the type char be unsigned, like unsigned char....
> Jay
>

> Tim wrote:
> SO I think John's several hours of staring at his debugger and wondering
> is well worth $75 of my money.

Well I'm between flights again, I guess I'll take Tims $75, it's not as if
it was like stealing money from a baby after all.

However Tim's answer (which is  NOT above) was handwaving (sorry Tim), I'm
still interested in why it's not a problem on the acorn, since I expected it
to be, otherwise one must be really careful when porting that 'portable' C
code. Beside I don't have an ARM CPU or compiler handy to check why...

FYI my notes from yesterday show the problem! But my mind refused to believe
it was a problem until this afternoon when I became VERY VERY paranoid about
ALL the code. I'm reminded of a problem I had like this 15 years ago when
0xCD became 0xCE in my eyeballs since 0xCE WAS of course the correct answer.
(Think I'd learn, but I'm off to catch yet another plane (last of the day
too))

Custom Macintosh programming & various Smalltalk dialects
PGP Key: DSS/Diff/46FC3BE6
Fingerprint=B22F 7D67 92B7 5D52 72D7  E94A EE69 2D21 46FC 3BE6