VNC Server

Marcel Weiher marcel at metaobject.com
Wed Apr 5 08:36:56 UTC 2000

> 	2. While most Canvas commands are easy to implement,
> #paragraph:bounds:color: is a notable exception.  I notice that the
> Postscript guys had to implement some sizable code for this.  :)

Sure did!  :-)  It was also left in its <euphemism_alert> somewhat
suboptimal </euphemism_alert> state because the morphic drawing
subsystem was to be revamped by Squeak Central at the time.  Some of
those changes seem to have happened in the meantime, but the full
overhaul was apparently never completed.

> I extended their work into a more general "CanvasCharacterScanner"
class.

Great!  Maybe we can start work on getting a modern text-display
subsystem working.  It looks like most of the elements are now in
place.

> Instances of this class can be used to transfarm a "draw paragraph"
> command into a sequence of simpler "draw text" commands.   This single
> bit of code ought to be able to replace all other implementations
of the
> "draw paragraph" command,  In fact, I've been using it as a replacement
> for FormCanvas's default implementation for a while, and it works just
> fine.  Surely it would work for Postscript as well.

I'll see if I can throw away my hacks, and maybe improve the
fidelity of text output somewhat.  Does this also work for
text-on-curve?

Marcel