(Very) Newbie Questions

Russell Swan swan at dandenong.cs.umass.edu
Wed Apr 5 15:18:26 UTC 2000

On Tue, 4 Apr 2000, Mark wrote:

> Hi!
>
> How do
> I determine which classes create a complete program that can be "launched"?
> (Also, is the correct way to "launch" things via the Workspace?)

A lot of classes contain example code. The examples are contained on the
Class side. For example, in the Network-Kernel Category is the class
Socket. On the Class side, under 'examples' are 10 different examples. In
the Network-Protocols category is the class HTTPSocket. On the Class side
under 'get the page' is #httpGet: There are 6 examples there in the
comments. Copy any one of the comments to a workspace, remove the ", and
evaluate it.

> I guess, in short, are them some guidelines that will help me learn this
> stuff quicker or is it all by trial and error?

Get to know the debugger. Make a copy of the image you intend to trash,
and put self halt in lots of places in the code. When you open the
debugger you can step through the code with Cmd-t, and do message sends
with Cmd-e, and analyze the stack to see who sent what to whom. You can
modify any of the classes, and install breakpoints in any class, so just
completely trash an image to watch the execution. When you're done, throw
it out.

> Thanks for taking the time to read the ramblings of a Squeak newbie...
>
> 	-- Mark
>
> --

-Russell Swan