Adding new BitBlt modes (for antialiased type)

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Tue Apr 25 00:58:13 UTC 2000

In message <B52A3F91.2B20%Henrik.Gedenryd at lucs.lu.se> you wrote:

> Of course, with Tim's new pluggable VM, one might also place all graphics
> stuff in a plugin, so that you'd only need to swap that plugin to extend
> BitBlt. (Saves a few lousy Ks for a headless VM too.)
Andreas has already pluginized the new bitblt stuff, so I imagine mozing
the still-needed parts of the old stuff would be reasonably simple.

> 1. Andreas claims that MacOS (Code Fragment Manager) adds substantial
> overhead for calling functions via pointers. This might exclude the first
> solution.
Well I discovered this morning whilst trying to debug the sound problem
on the mac (just how _do_ you debug shared libraries under code worrier?
drives me nuts) that the mac external prims calling stuff does a
lookup-and-call of setInterpreter() _every_ time! This might account for
some performance wastage.... Since the new plugins  stuff also looks up
and runs initializeModule(), that gets added every time on my machine.

Useful random insult:- On permanent leave of absence from his senses.