VNC Server

Bert Freudenberg bert at isgnw.CS.Uni-Magdeburg.De
Tue Apr 4 14:01:53 UTC 2000

On Tue, 4 Apr 2000, Stephen Pair wrote:

> Yes, I tried that last night, and it seemed to work very well.

Great! There might even be a speedup possibility because in BitBlt you
sometimes *know* you're just filling a rectangle, so you don't need to
send details over the wire ...

> I still need an implementation of the VNC bitmap compression
> algorithms (RRE, CoRRE, and Hextile) before the performance will be
> even remotely close to acceptable.

According to the RFB whitepaper hextile is the most important. RRE and
CoRRE are just too complicated. Hextile encoding can be simplified by not
sending subrects at all, but either filling or sending raw data for the
whole tile.

Also, there could be a "dirty bitmap" that is 1/16 by 1/16 of the Display
extent which has one bit for each hextile. When blitting to Display, a
second blit could mark those tiles dirty ...

  -Bert-