TGen error (Now you've really started something!)

Mark Guzdial guzdial at cc.gatech.edu
Tue Aug 8 14:16:56 UTC 2000

Chris, I haven't had these problems, but I don't know TGen well
enough to offer much advice.

What I can offer are the PowerPoint slides for the lecture we gave,
introducing parsing/tokenizing and TGen:
http://coweb.cc.gatech.edu:8888/cs2340/uploads/parsing.ppt

Good luck!
  Mark

>Firstly, thanks very much to all the kind folk who responded to my plea
>for help w.r.t. lexers/parsers under Squeak. I've filedIn the TGen
>classes and all the tests are passed.
>
>I've then tried to get the (morphic) TGenUI going.
>
>Following the instructions in the readme, I've executed 'TGenUI open' in
>a morphic project, and chosen 'load specs' from the menu of the text
>pane in the upper right.
>I then typed in 'example10' (as described, without any extension).
>I get a requester "Example10.tok does not exist", and three options
>	Create a new file
>	Choose another name
>	Cancel
>
>I chose Create a new file
>Another requester "This load will overwrite existing specs. Are you sure
>you want to do this?".
>Answering "No" produced an abort, but that's OK
>Answering "Yes" leads to
>	The grammer being displayed in the lower left text pane
>	A requester "example10.eg does not exist" and three optins
>		Create a new file
>		Choose another name
>		Cancel
>
>Choosing "Create a new file":
>	(Progress seen in upper right text pane)
>	The scanner is built
>	The parser is built
>	The grammar is identified as LL(1)
>	And then...
>
>	"Error: Characters are not indexable"
>
>Debug:
>	Characters(Object)>>Size
>		self class isVariable ifFalse: [self errorNotIndexable]
>
>	self is $
>	all inst var is value: 4
>
>I'd be VERY grateful for some help here...If I can get this going, then
>I'm on my way!
>
>cheers
>
>chris
>

>--
>Dr. Chris Wright
>Deputy Director, Intensive Care Unit
>Monash Medical Centre
>Clayton, VIC AUSTRALIA

Associate Professor - Learning Sciences & Technologies.
Collaborative Software Lab - http://coweb.cc.gatech.edu/csl/
(404) 894-5618 : Fax (404) 894-0673 : guzdial at cc.gatech.edu