[Q] Does anyone have a radix searchtrieSmalltalkimplementation?

Alan Kay Alan.Kay at disney.com
Tue Aug 1 04:09:38 UTC 2000

Mark --

Yes, I would say that is a very good place to look at and start.

One of the things that would help the merging of Smalltalk and Linda
is to see what aspects of Smalltalk can be abstracted by the Linda
tuple. There are two obvious ones.

* A tuple can be used as an abstraction for sending and receiving of
a message, though in Linda it is a little more general and comes out
as publish and subscribe.

* The second abstraction is to use the Linda tuple to model
externalized properties of an object (you don't want to expose the
instance directly since that ruins encapsulation, but it is quite
reasonable to think of exposing the kind of values that getters
expose to pattern recognition and retrieval).

* A third and more subtle one is that one could conceive of a tuple
space that only has the exposed end of a stream as its single
"tuple". Linda matching in such a space could be used to construct
compilers and other kinds of translators, etc.

* A fourth usage would be to model a reasoning tool (like ART) that
permits both forward and backwards processing. ART's forward
reasoning was fast enough to allow e.g. views to be made of a model
without touching the model in any way, just by being able to react
(event driven style) to the new values (that were tuples in ART)
being produced by the model process.

Cheers,

Alan