Greetings

chickenhead at hushmail.com chickenhead at hushmail.com
Fri Aug 18 18:57:09 UTC 2000

Hello all in Squeak land!

I just wanted to re-introduce myself to the list...My name is Kevin Fisher,
 I used to be a subscriber some time ago (probably 'round the 2.4 days).
 I recently got re-infatuated with Squeak and I've been hiding in the shadows,
 watching the list silently trying to get back up to speed on the dizzying
number of changes and enhancements that have happened.  All I can say is...wow!
 Fantastic!  I've been using 2.7 since May trying to re-aquaint myself with
things...I just updated to 2.8gamma and I'm quite impressed with everything
I see.  Call me slow, but I just discovered the morphic transparancy option
and I'm just blown away!

Anyway, I had a couple questions/comments about things.  I've been trying
to work within the Squeak environment as much as possible for my day-to-
day.  I've been using Celeste a lot as a result, and I've made some minor
modifications that suit my needs for a decent mail client...nothing overly
fantastic, of course.  Firstly, on the compose message window I added another
button and changed the label of the existing one...now there are two buttons,
 one labelled 'send immediately' and the other labelled 'queue message'.
 I got tired of having to 'remember' to send everything in the .tosend.
folder. :)  I also added a menu to the compose screen containing cut/copy/paste.

On the main topics window I added an item to the menu there as well...I
added an option to exclude yourself from the CC list (since nothing else
I could do would keep my address out of the CC list whenever I replied to
a message).   My question now is...shall I send the list my change set?
 Are these changes of interest to anyone?  My huge caveat is that I'm still
trying to get 'in' to Squeak and Smalltalk in general...I just started out
by playing with things and it became more useful to me after that.. :)

While I'm on the topic of Celeste, I noticed that with 2.8gamma that MIME
attachments seem to be recognized.  They don't seem to get saved correctly
however...is this a known bug?

Now, there's only one thing keeping me from making a lot more use of the
Squeak environment...a decent Telnet client.  I've been poking at the TelnetMachine
classes and I've been toying with trying to make them more useful (as a
tutorial in Morphic, mainly).  Is this a worthy endeavour or is someone
already working on this?  I've been looking at some really good C++ based
VT100/xterm code that could probably be used for this (from konsole, an
xterm replacement in the KDE Project...the original xterm code is way too
ugly for mere mortals like myself).

Oh and one last question, if I may...the transparancies in Morphic are really
neat!  Is there a simple way to turn on transparancies in general for all
new morphs/windows, or do I need to manually turn it on for each new window
via the halo menu?  Either way, it's still an amazing effect...I've been
amusing my co-workers with it all day. :)

(My apologies about the email address...at the time it was the easiest way
for me to organize all my  email from this and other mailing lists... I
need to get my old procmail filters working again, someday... :)

--Kevin Fisher