Squeak 2.8 available

Richard A. O'Keefe ok at atlas.otago.ac.nz
Mon Aug 21 00:33:12 UTC 2000

I just downloaded Squeak2.8 for the Mac.
(It would have saved a bit of time had the message included a full URL.)
It's unpacked.  Double click on the image file and up pops a litle bosx:

	Squeak cannot locate the sources file named
	Renoir:Backup:Squeak 2.8.1:Squeak V2.sources.
	Please check that the file is named properly
	and is in the same directory as this image.
	Further explanation can be found in the startup
	window, 'How Squeak Finds Source Code.'

Of course, the startup window isn't *there* yet, so I can't
find the explanation, can I?  Clicking on the OK button takes
me to another boks:

	Make sure the sources file is not an Alias.

Click on *that*, and the usual soiled-nappy "Welcome To" window
appears against the usual hospital-green background.

"Renoir" is the name of my hard disk (not my choice).
"Backup" is the folder that the department automatically backs up.
"Squeak 2.8" is the name THAT THE DOWNLOAD CHOSE FOR ITSELF.
So why is Squeak looking in a non-exsitent "Squeak 2.8.1?"

Answer:  because the icon for the new folder wasn't in the window
after the automatic unpacking, so I'd clicked on it again, and that
had created a Squeak 2.8.1 folder.  When I slid the window down a
bit, I saw Squeak 2.8 and naturally used that.

*Sigh*.

After deleting the unwanted Squeak 2.8.1 folder, I now get a box
which refers to the right folder:

	Squeak cannot locate the sources file named
	Renoir:Backup:Squeak 2.8:Squeak V2.sources.

Would it be possible to provide a version of Squeak 2.8 that
_does_ have the sources file in it?

Does 2.8 have a massive Changes file on top of the 2.0 sources,
or is there a 2.8 sources file with just a few changes?