Accessing primitives (was Re: [UNIX] [BUGS] [FIX] headless vm, small fixes)

Bert Freudenberg bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de
Thu Aug 31 11:16:21 UTC 2000

On Thu, 31 Aug 2000, Mats Nygren wrote:

> I'm not into all details of this but consider the following:
>
> Instead of having one central table that can be used in a portable way
> to find things, distribute this table so each module has its part of
> the table. The only thing that should be linked when loading a module
> is this table. Everything else, that is the real content, is fetched
> throw this table.

That's exactly what I wanted to suggest next. The dynamic lookup should
only be used to get at a few fixed special functions, like setInterpreter,
init/shutdown, and that function table access. All the functions a plugin
exports should be listed in the plugins export table and be called using
Squeak's own table based access. The only exception to this would be FFI
calls, which of course depend on using dynamic lookup.

Btw, Ian: I'd like to have a compile-time option that entirely disables
dynamic loading/lookup. Can I just undefine HAVE_LIBDL somewhere to
achieve this?

-- Bert