Broadband choices

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Fri Aug 18 08:07:16 UTC 2000

It would be great to hook this all into Jabber, a new open-source
instant-messaging system that is built for extensions just like these.
Jabber gives every user some on-server storage space, so for this
problem you could easily store your current IP address on the server.

A "badge" could then have only a jabber userid that is permanent; the
rest of the information on there could very well be downloaded (and
cached) from the Jabber network.  I'm fairly sure, for instance, that
you can publish a "vcard" about yourself, and that vcards can have
undocumented fields added to them.

Overall, Jabber seems like a great substrate for internet collaboration
tools on.  Why reinvent it?  Furthermore, the more things hooked into a
single substrate, the more useful it becomes.

One final meta-comment: we aren't restricted to *just* clients.  To put
up a server, it only takes one nice person with a permanent connection
and a spare computer.

-Lex