FW: [Qsoul] FW: Bug in class message behaviour

Johan Fabry johan.fabry at vub.ac.be
Tue Aug 29 12:11:32 UTC 2000

schwa at cc.gatech.edu wrote:

> > My feeling is that proxies should be as transparent as much as they
> > can be. If you're debugging proxies, and it shouldn't happen very
> > often, you can afford to do a little nastiness.
>
> I'm not sure that I agree.  The issue isn't whether you're debugging the
> proxy, it's whether you're dealing with a proxy or the actual thing.  I
> don't like the idea of the system lying to me about what I'm seeing.

Yes and no ... I'd say that with transparant proxies, you kind of expect
the system to be lying to you.

> I'd suggest something like a split view that shows both the proxy and
> all it's internal state, as well as the state of the object wrapped by
> the proxy.  The System-Prototypes changeset posted recently creates

This seems to be the best of both worlds.

"You are more than the sum       Johan Fabry - Johan.Fabry at vub.ac.be
 of what you consume.            Vrije Universiteit Brussel
 Desire is not an occupation."   Programming Technology Lab, Room 10F709
  -- KMFDM                       Pleinlaan 2, 1050 Brussels, Belgium