[UNIX] Adding our own plugins: how to control the Makefile?

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Wed Aug 30 22:32:12 UTC 2000

Ian Piumarta wrote:

> > 1) Control the build process from within Squeak and have a description
> > in Squeak-syntax of the VM. (What modules should be included etc) This
> > would need OSProcess and probably be unix-specific, in the beginning at
> > least.
>
> Simply a file containing lines of the form
>
>         NameOfMainPlugin.c [AuxPrimsFile1.c [AuxPrimsFile2.c [...]]]
>
> would be more than enough to solve the problem, and isn't specific to
> any OS.  (W.r.t. OPP: there's absolutely no need to use an elephant
> gun just to squash a bug.)

I was just playing around with the Regular Expression plugin. This uses
sources from a third-party regex library, written without knowledge of Squeak.
And it really doesn't warrant being put in yet another DLL.

The problem is here that the extra sources (not the main plugin file, but
the regex engine) need to have a couple of compile flags provided (defines)
to compile right.

Perhaps the solution described above would be able to take such compiler
flags into account...

--
Ned Konz
currently: Stanwood, WA