[ANN] ObjectWeb - a wiki using Squeak Morphs

Roger Whitney whitney at cs.sdsu.edu
Sun Aug 13 20:46:56 UTC 2000

There is a lot of potential here. I am looking forward to seeing the work
from SqC that Alan mentioned.

The developement of ObjectWeb points out the potential for Squeak. We had 6
developers (students) working 40 hours a week for 4 weeks, 2 developers
that joined the course for one week. Of the 6 core developers, only 2 had
any experience with Smalltalk and none had used Squeak. Of the other 2 one
knew Squeak and the other was learning it. Given that this was a course on
XP, not all of the time was spent in development activities.  One  student
estimated it would take us over a year to develop ObjectWeb in Java.

A team of developers using Squeak and XP would have a big competitive
advantage over the software companies I know in San Diego.

With the Squeak World tour promising to refactor parts of Squeak, I am torn
between forming a small company and coverting all my courses to using
Squeak.

>I really recomend people to try this out. The potensial is enourmous.
>ObjectWeb and
>a Squeak web browser plugin will change the way one thinks of internet.
>
>go squeak !
>
>Karl

Roger Whitney              Mathematical & Computer Sciences Department
whitney at cs.sdsu.edu        San Diego State University
http://www.eli.sdsu.edu/   San Diego, CA 92182-7720
(619) 583-1978
(619) 594-3535 (office)