Mac 2.8 Browser plugin

Henrik Gedenryd Henrik.Gedenryd at lucs.lu.se
Wed Aug 30 08:23:51 UTC 2000

John M McIntosh wrote:

> Karl if I look around I could install a Swedish MacOS, but then I'd need to
> ask for assistance to order to figure out the dialogs it would give me.

Didn't you watch the Muppet Show? Seriously, Karl is referring to the
requirement to manually drop things into the Preferences folder--this is
something you never ever do on the Mac. I also recognize his problem with
there being a verbatim "Preferences" folder--because sloppy developers (eg.
Norton utilities) look for the name, and don't use the "return the system's
designated preferences folder" call, thus creating a "Preferences" folder
since it purportedly doesn't exist.

So putting the files into an installer would do the trick. This is what I
think Karl is referring to.

However, wouldn't it be more appropriate to register the plugin type with
(Netscape's) plugin registry, so that we can use the browser's normal
routine for downloading & installing the plugin as required. The
appropriate, required functionality ought to be there already.

> So I'm curious does it work? I think it should, I believe I'm following the
> guidelines to find the Preferences folder (Programinställningar) that should
> work regardless of the language of the OS.

Right. As it should be done.

Henrik