"official" VMs

Henrik Gedenryd Henrik.Gedenryd at lucs.lu.se
Sat Aug 12 09:32:49 UTC 2000

Tim Rowledge wrote:

> The only argument I can remember hearing against making the VM totally
> bare and all the plugins external is one of convenience for people
> fetching/installing the VM (and indirectly for the folks supporting
> them). For some platforms that is a cogent argument (Andreas shudders at
> the though of Windows users being expected to fetch several files and
> install them for example) whereas for others (Acorn for example) there
> is no reason not to make everything external since the packaging
> mechanism just handles everything for you.

This reminds me: We really need to establish an Official Place to look for
compiled plugins for each platform. Consider, for example, the amount of
time between each official release--during all this time it should be easy
to track down new additions. It is not easy for a newcomer that wishes to
try one not in the distribution to find out where to look. (Hey, it would
take even me at least 5-15 minutes to track down one.) Would uiuc be the
place for this?

Henrik