[UNIX] [BUGS] [FIX] headless vm, small fixes

Raab, Andreas Andreas.Raab at disney.com
Wed Aug 30 19:29:42 UTC 2000

> > Arranging for the generated files to take note of a
> > -DPLUGIN symbol to
> > compile themselves in "external plugin mode", for example, would be
> > perfect.  I could trivially rebuild the sqNamedPrims.h file in the
> > process, to reflect which plugins were "externalised".
>
> It isn't clear to me whether you'all in this thread have
> noted that the Slang translator generates different C code
> for modules (and the VM hooks I'd suppose) depending on whether
> they are to be compiled with the VM or as separate plugin files.
> In other words, plugins generated for inclusion with
> the vm should not be compiled as standalone, and vice versa.
> Check out the changes inthe InterpreterPlugin class>>translation
> category (doh! obviously). 'locally' there means 'baked into the vm'.
> There are also way simple hooks for eg. leaving FFI out of the vm.

BTW - I'd actually like to get rid of the different translation methods if
somehow possible. All that *should* be needed is really a -DPLUGIN (or
whatever) so one actually has a choice about this at compile time.
Unfortunately there a few tricky aspects involved which I couldn't quite
figure out how to solve at the time Tim and I were working on this stuff. If
somebody knows how to fix it please go ahead and send me the modifications.

> > byeBye
> >         "Smalltalk byeBye"
> >
> >         <primitive: 'exit' module: 'System'>
> >         self error: 'this should never be reached'! !
>
> Ouch, this looks like a bug to me, but my Unix eyesight isn't
> 20/20. Tried it--does not work on the Mac. What about Win?

Doesn't work on neither Mac or Win. That's because Mac/Win restrict the
exported symbol by using either the #pragma export (Mac) or the EXPORT()
macro (Win) to *only* export those specially marked functions. And 'exit' is
none of these.

  - Andreas