"official" VMs

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Fri Aug 11 23:48:31 UTC 2000

In message <39948C4C.DCF63A12 at bike-nomad.com> you wrote:

> Bijan Parsia wrote:
>
> > Dumping sockets actually doesn't seem like such a great idea to me, even
> > for PDA. Or should I say *espeically* for PDAs. I don't think there are any
> > PDAs on the market that have a *prayer* of running Squeak that lack a
> > TCP/IP stack (even the Palms do), and wireless is becoming more popular.
>
> I agree; network programming is one of the more useful things you could
> do with Squeak on a WinCE machine.
>From the VM point of view, there is no 'dumping' of anything. All the
facilities can be made available as external plugins and you just don't
load the ones you don't need.

The only argument I can remember hearing against making the VM totally
bare and all the plugins external is one of convenience for people
fetching/installing the VM (and indirectly for the folks supporting
them). For some platforms that is a cogent argument (Andreas shudders at
the though of Windows users being expected to fetch several files and
install them for example) whereas for others (Acorn for example) there
is no reason not to make everything external since the packaging
mechanism just handles everything for you.

tim

If a train station is where the train stops, what is a work station?