[UPDATES] 2448-2492

Dan Ingalls Dan.Ingalls at disney.com
Wed Aug 16 15:22:30 UTC 2000

merlyn at stonehenge.com (Randal L. Schwartz) responded...
>I always do my updates in MVC, since that's the way the image
>ships originally. :)  I noticed that I had a very hard time then
>trying to switch to a Morphic project.  Popping up the "open" pallette
>left the open menu in place, and when I finally clicked around it,
>and entered a new morphic project, my clicks were being directed to
>the previous MVC windows, which showed up on top of my morphic project!
>
>So something is definitely broken in these fixes.  I feel like the
>system is more fragile now, since a lot of things were happening that
>were clearly counter-paradigm.

[Randall -- this is not directed at you, but a reminder to all who may have similar feelings...]

I guess it is a tribute to our normal process that people expect the alpha version to be solid.  We supply these *TEST PILOT* updates for a number of reasons:

	There is cool new stuff for you to play with and contribute to.
	Some things are broken that we don't know about or need help fixing.
	It's more fun to play together.

So this is just a reminder that any fragility in these updates should be interpreted in the context of the adventure, not as any inherent flakiness of Squeak or a weakening of our resolve to support a rock-solid (even in MVC) system.

If you want a solid system, get a final release (2.7 or 2.8 forthcoming).

If you want a relatively solid alpha version, then either
	wait until the bug reports die down after 1,283,370 bytes of new updates or
	roll up your sleeves and help us fix some of the problems.

Hope you like the new stuff.  I'll issue the bug fixes as fast as possible.

	- Dan