[Q] T-gen scanner/parser generator test

Mark Guzdial guzdial at cc.gatech.edu
Tue Aug 8 14:04:32 UTC 2000

My students have been using that very T-Gen port for the last two
semesters: to build HTML parsers in the Spring, and to build LaTeX
parsers in the Summer.  We have found a few bugs (e.g., you can't
actually build some of the more advanced kinds of parse trees,
because the methods for creating and installing your own subclass of
the parse tree are missing), but lots of students have used it
successfully.

Mark

At 7:05 PM -0400 8/7/00, Hannes Hirzel wrote:
>Hi
>
>I tested T-gen with the following result:
>

>INSTALLATION OF T-GEN
>
>I downloaded the T-gen scanner/parser generator from the link
>mentioned on
>http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/1419
>

>http://coweb.cc.gatech.edu:8888/cs2340/uploads/tgen.zip
>
>and installed it in a Squeak image 2.8a 2052 according to the
>instructions in the ReadMe file.
>
>Installation caused no Walkbacks.
>

>TESTING T-GEN
>1)
>When evaluating
>TranslatorGenerator runAllTests
>all tests failed.
>
>The tests generate a scanner and a parser class in the category
>'TGen-Interface'.
>You have to remove them manually after a test failed. I evaluated the tests
>individually as well with the same results.
>

>2)
>After evaluating
>TGenUI open
>in Morphic and loading each examples manually I got the follwing results
>
>ex 1 LL(1)  OK
>ex 2 LL(1) OK
>ex 3  LL(1)  OK
>ex 4 LALR(1)  OK
>ex 5 LR(1)  OK
>ex 6 LR(1); generation failed; nondeterministic parser available
>ex 10 LL(1)  OK
>(Make sure to choose 'any parser' in upper left pane in the GUI)
>
>'OK' means a parse tree was generated which looked more or less like it
>should
>be. However I didn't do a thourough check.
>

>I could imagine that a relatively small error makes all tests fail. However
>I wasn't able
>to spot an error.
>

>QUESTIONS
>
>Is the version of the T-gen port  mentioned above the latest one?
>
>Do you have some suggestions / hints / changesets on fixing the problem?
>

>Thanks in advance for your efforts
>
>Hannes

Associate Professor - Learning Sciences & Technologies.
Collaborative Software Lab - http://coweb.cc.gatech.edu/csl/
(404) 894-5618 : Fax (404) 894-0673 : guzdial at cc.gatech.edu