More info on Squeakport to Amiga/VP/Tao/Elate etc.

Les Tyrrell tyrrell at canis.uiuc.edu
Wed Aug 16 23:47:03 UTC 2000

Not sure how "object-oriented" Tao's VP actually is- I have an older version of it, and it didn't seem to me that their definition of "object" matched mine.  Not that there isn't anything worthwhile there, just that it might not be quite what you expect.  I thought of doing a Squeak port a long time ago, but the SDK for Tao OS was very crude at the time- since then I believe that they have at least provided something more recognizable, like GNU compiler tools.  Back then, the only thing they had was a proprietary version of BASIC for programming things that they call "tools", which are basically self-contained process-oriented "objects".  I believe that the idea was that "tools" represented a package of functionality that could be distributed easily in a multi-VP environment. Tao's VP's had mechanisms for being aware of other VP's on the network, and automatically shuffling these "tools" around to distribute the loads- for instance, each VP knew how fast it was, and how much l!
!
oad it was under.

But that was a long time ago, I never tried to build anything with it, and I don't know for sure what they've done with Elate.  It would be interesting to find out if it made sense to run Squeak in that kind of environment.

- les