Squeak 2.8 available

Doug Way dway at riskmetrics.com
Mon Aug 21 10:05:38 UTC 2000

John M McIntosh wrote:

> Upon reflection this afternoon, I realized I've built the official 2.8 VM
> without the required primitive call to get queued events from the OS.
> Apologies to those attempting the above and not getting what you expected.
> I'll look at fixing this ASAP.

I don't know if the release will be tweaked any further, but I wanted to mention
that it's great having the new Mac icons built into the release.  (Thanks to John
Mc. for his work.)  The mouse icon for the VM and the hand drawing a mouse for the
.image file are both very appropriate.

However, being in a picky mood, the reversed hand-drawing-a-mouse icon for the
.changes file doesn't seem all that appropriate to me.  The writing hand sort of
implies that the icon is double-clickable, which for the .image file is good, but
the .changes file is not double-clickable.  The .changes file could be considered
more of a go-along data file, so something more generic like a document/page icon
might be more appropriate.  (The .image files are the important ones that should
stand out among a sea of icons.)

I've attached one of Karl Ramberg's icons as a possible replacement.  Or, the
previous non-existent icon (which shows as a blank page) would be fine too.

Okay, being even more picky, the .image icon looks a little funky with the top of
the nose and right whisker being cleanly chopped off (in such a way that it's
fairly obvious that the hand icon was pasted over the mouse, rather than being an
incompletely drawn mouse).  I've attached a cleaned-up version of this icon.

If necessary, I can update the various icl/icn/ics resources in the Squeak VM 2.8
file for someone to upload to the ftp site... I'm still familiar with good ol'
ResEdit. :-)

- Doug Way
  dway at mat.net, @riskmetrics.com
  RiskMetrics Group, Ann Arbor, MI