[BUG] File name problems publishing and updating projects

Ted Wright wright at en.com
Fri Aug 18 21:21:43 UTC 2000

Hi,

I was experimenting with the new ProjectNavigationBar and ran into
some problems publishing to and updating from projects stored on
my local disk (with Squeak 2.9a updated to 2492).

First, there is a file name incompatibility under Windows. Projects
are published with a name generated by the base project name,
followed by a $| character, a version number, and '.pr'. Unfortunately,
the $| is not valid on the Window's file system and is somehow
silently mutated to $# as the project is published. This prevents the
file from showing up when Squeak goes to load the project.

Second, there is a problem updating to a newer version of a local
project under Linux. Loading the newer version of the project fails
because it is looking for a bad file name. I don't know the cause of the
problem, but it shows up when FileDirectory>>fullNameFor: is passed
what looks like a relative path (actually, its the full path with the initial
$/ missing). I did a quick hack in FileDirectory>>fullNameFor: to treat
the symptom, and discovered that the project would then update to the
newer version, but...

Third, once I was in newer version of a project, selecting "previous project"
from the World menu or the ProjectNavigationBar would fail. Inspecting the
newly loaded project shows that both parentProject and previousProject are
set to bogus values.

That's as far as I got. I think the idea of publishing projects is great,
but so far it has not worked for me.

Ted

Ted Wright	mailto:wright at en.com