Squeak Projects from Content image. Was RE: Help with Squeak pres entation to DoD!

Torsten.Bergmann at phaidros.com Torsten.Bergmann at phaidros.com
Wed Aug 30 01:34:18 UTC 2000

The best way is to let Squeak speak for itself. You should create a "content
image"
with little demos. I can help you a little bit with the following demo
projects from
my own "content image". To run them you need:

 - a Squeak 2.9alpha image with the latest changes
 - 1024x768 screen resolution, set Squeak to full screen mode
 - open a workspace in a new morphic project

Evaluate the following lines to download the projects:

Project thumbnailFromUrl:
'http://software.freepage.de/cronos/squeak/Projects/SqueakPlatforms.pr'
"I think Squeak runs on more platforms than Java"

Project thumbnailFromUrl:
'http://software.freepage.de/cronos/squeak/Projects/SqueakBooks.pr'.
"Contains a book with a general overview on Squeak"

Project thumbnailFromUrl:
'http://software.freepage.de/cronos/squeak/Projects/SqueakFFI.pr'
"Windows only - showing FFI (Foreign Function Interface) capabilities"

Project thumbnailFromUrl:
'http://software.freepage.de/cronos/squeak/Projects/FinalFrontier.pr'.
"The final frontier segment from Andreas Raab with an additional background"

Project thumbnailFromUrl:
'http://software.freepage.de/cronos/squeak/Projects/SqueakGames.pr'.
"The games you will find inside of Squeak"

Project thumbnailFromUrl:
'http://software.freepage.de/cronos/squeak/Projects/SqueakGraphic.pr'.
"Shows what you can do with graphics in squeak"

Project thumbnailFromUrl:
'http://software.freepage.de/cronos/squeak/Projects/SqueakPooh.pr'.
"The Teddy implementation (Squeak Pooh)"

Project thumbnailFromUrl:
'http://software.freepage.de/cronos/squeak/Projects/SqueakShockwave.pr'
"Squeak Shockwave integration"

Project thumbnailFromUrl:
'http://software.freepage.de/cronos/squeak/Projects/SqueakMusic.pr'
"Sound's awfull after loading, change the instruments and it will work"

Project thumbnailFromUrl:
'http://software.freepage.de/cronos/squeak/Projects/ActiveTextures.pr'.
"Shows reactive 3D textures in Squeak"

I will provide some more as soon as I have time.
The last one seems to have some problems. Everything is for beta testers
only !!!
See http://software.freepage.de/cronos/squeak/Projects/overview.gif for an
project overview.

Hopefully Dan is not angry that I directly send them to the list so early.

There is a much more you can show:
 - more 3D (open a B3DSceneExplorerMorph or the bunny sample in PWM-7)
 - the webbrowser Scamper
 - the mailtool Celeste
 - the other Play with me (PWM) projects
 - the code update capability
 - Swiki Servers (Check out class PWS)
 - communication via EToy system (see EToyListenerMorph class comment and
EToyChatMorph, ...)
   You can send morphs from one squeak image to another in 2.9alpha !!!
 - the character recognizer (use CMD-R in a workspace)
 - Sound recording (see RecordingControlsMorph)
 - Sound processing and voice recognition (see SpectrumAnalyzerMorph and
PhonemeRecognizerMorph)
 - Postscript and True Type font support
 - Morphic Scripting and Macro Recorder (EventRecorderMorph)
 - the speech engine (evaluate   Speaker manWithEditor say: 'With this
editor you can change my voice.' )
 - Multilanguage Squeak
 - Facial animation project (Goodie, see Mailinglist last month)
 - Nebraska (server image with network terminals, check NebraskaServerMorph)
 - SUnit Framework (from Extreme Programming)
 - Fabrik components (see PWM-6)

You can also show graphic effects like star wars scrolling:

	| warp src dest |
	"Star wars like scrolling"
	warp _ (WarpBlt toForm: Display)
			cellSize: 1;
			sourceForm: Display;
			cellSize: 2;
			combinationRule: Form over.
	src _ {-200 at -100. -50 at 100. 50 at 100. 200 at -100}.
	dest _ 0 at 0 corner: 200 at 100.
	Display restoreAfter: [
		[Sensor anyButtonPressed] whileFalse:
			[warp copyQuad: src + Sensor cursorPoint
				toRect: dest]]

or the world smallest drawing program:

	 | myPen |
	 myPen := Pen new defaultNib: 2;
				place: Sensor mousePoint.
	 [Sensor waitButton ; yellowButtonPressed] whileFalse:
		 [Sensor redButtonPressed
			 ifTrue: [myPen goto: Sensor mousePoint]].

To test the Internet capabilities evaluate:

	MIDIFileReader playURLNamed:
	   'http://squeak.org/Squeak2.0/midi/wtellovr.mid'.

or

	(FlashMorphReader on: (HTTPSocket
		httpGet: 'http://www.audi.co.uk/flash/intro1.swf'
		accept:'application/x-shockwave-flash'))
	processFile startPlaying openInWorld.

or

	HTTPSocket httpShowGif:
		'http://squeak.org/Squeak2.0/midi/Squeakers.GIF'.