Problem translating plugins

Bob Arning arning at charm.net
Sun Aug 13 00:52:51 UTC 2000

Hi Raymond,

On Sat, 12 Aug 2000 20:29:34 -0400 Raymond Asselin <raymondasselin at sympatico.ca> wrote:
>>  - What is the value returned by "Smalltalk garbageCollect"?
>
> 215788  is this number,  'bytes' left ?

Yes it is and it is *far* too low. Squeak churns memory pretty heavily and with this little free, I would expect to see lots of garbage collection so that the system might well seem frozen. You might also encounter attempts to allocate objects of larger size in critical places and the failure there couls be catastrophic. You said the problem happened when you tried to move a window - that means the hand is going to create a Form (bitmap) to represent the thing being moved. For objects of any significant dimensions and screen depths of 2 or 4 bytes per pixel, that 200K could well be too little. I'll bet this was what was happening.

>....When trying to answer yours questions, I wanted to check changes
>so I tried:
>Menu World -- Changes... -- SimpleChangeSorter... BANG!!!
>everything is frozen again...
>
> oH!....This is my VM statistic
>
>memory          14,734,152 bytes
>    old         14,521,736 bytes (98.6%)
>    young       58,968 bytes (0.4%)
>    used        14,580,704 bytes (99.0%)
>    free        153,448 bytes (1.0%)
>
>So I think you align me to this...LACK, not Leak, of memory allocate
>to Squeak.

Certainly looks that way.

>By the way I think that my VM is "Squeak VM PPC (Aug2000Special)".
>
>I know how to add static memory to an macintosh application so I did
>for Squeak VM, but this does'nt seem to change my VM statistic, so
>may be I must do something in Squeak to allocate more memory ?

Two thoughts:
- If you have more that one VM anywhere on your disk, are you sure you got the right one? The Mac OS sometimes launches a version of the application other than the one you wanted it to.
- Do you have enough memory? I just looked at a VM on my system and the memory allocations are:
	- suggested: 15 meg
	- minimum: 1 meg
	- preferred: 40 meg
which means that if there is 40 meg free, that's what it gets, but if less is available, it gets less, perhaps as little as 1 meg. Definittely won't be happy there! So, set your preferred to 20 or 25 meg and check the available memory before launching (you are looking for the largest unused block).

Cheers,
Bob