Seg fault

Dan Ingalls Dan.Ingalls at disney.com
Tue Aug 8 07:26:40 UTC 2000

>I'm working on getting Tim's Linux framebuffer support for the Itsy
>version of Squeak, using version 2.7 and the sqItsyWindow.c file he
>wired me sometime ago.  It seems as if it initializes the display,
>but then dumps the attached and segfaults.  I think that the whigging
>out of the controller has to do with whiggy mouse support, but I
>thought I'd ask here to see if any of the Unix VM gurus have seen
>this before.  I'm working on Linux (RedHat 6.2, kernel 2.2.14).
>
>thanks-
>Aaron
>
>Here's the screen dump:

Aaron -

This screen dump is right where the vm first starts up (= where it stopped on the prior save).  It may be something complex, but you can also have this kind of ugly crash if there is just enough memory to load the image, but not enough to get it breathing.  Check that you have, say, a megabyte of extra space.  We should probably have some such safe-zone delta built into the test for whether the image will fit.  It doesn't only have to fit, it has to be able to breathe as well.

Hoping it's that simple...

	- Dan