[UNIX] [BUGS] [FIX] headless vm, small fixes

Mats Nygren nygren at sics.se
Wed Aug 30 13:07:39 UTC 2000

Bert Freudenberg <bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de> wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Aug 2000, Mats Nygren wrote:
> [snip]
> Either you get that lib, or you delete anything related to FFI (worked for
> me). That would be the *FFI* in the sources and all references to FFI
> functions in sqNamedPrims.h.

I have tried to delete FFI-references fore awhile. Hiding files in other
directories, removing code from files including from generated files,
the mess is still growing. Surely this is not how it should work. Adding
a particular module shouldn't be able to mess up the whole machine
generation process.

I would help with this, organizing how the VM is built. But I'm stopped
at square one. There is work yet to be done.

For a unix machine I see two alternatives (there should be more):

1) Control the build process from within Squeak and have a description
in Squeak-syntax of the VM. (What modules should be included etc) This
would need OSProcess and probably be unix-specific, in the beginning at
least.

2) Have a simple way of describing parameters for the build, from
outside of Squeak. Again this would probably be unix-specific in the
beginning.

Manually changing generated files should never be a part of describing
things the new VM.

I find this very irritating at the moment, having decided to work with
the syntactic part of VM-generation, I don't want learn m4, configure,
etc at the moment. (In fact I would like to avoid those for ever if
possible)

The Squeak way of making it difficult to remove things instead of having
it possibly difficult to add things seems to me

Could somebody fix this please. The particular problem with FFI, since
according to Bert (below) this isn't necesserary what everybody wants,
why not make configure arrange for it to be left out, if it isn't found
on the machine? If this is difficult to arrange then some things is
severely wrong with the current organization of the build process.

Thanks for the help so far. I do wish to be able to work with this
without first becoming an expert of every detail of the build process.

/Mats