Squeak is Ugly Re: Why doesn't everybody use smalltalk?

John-Reed Maffeo rlpa80 at email.sps.mot.com
Wed Aug 23 15:25:41 UTC 2000

in comp.lang.smalltalk David Allsopp wrote:

--- snip
> Download Squeak and you're faced with strange multicoloured windows with
> an alien look-and-feel, menus which mean little to the uninitiated, and
> a couple of minimal help files (and Squeak webpages which tell you that

Windows 1.0;)

> the Squeak documentation is poor!) Perhaps the other Smalltalks you
> mention are easier to get started on.

As a down in the trenches developer with lots of experience all I
can say is "So what?" Just about every application that
comes across my desk is like what you describe Squeak to be. You
gotta dig in and figure it out. Thats what developers do.

> I also get the impression that you have to settle on a version of
> Smalltalk  _and_ a particular development environment, all slightly
> incompatible (true/false??) compared with one definitive Sun JDK for
> Java.

Hmmm, can anyone show me a shipping Java app that runs on as many
different
platforms as Squeak? Honest question, I am not following Java
development.

> Is there any Smalltalk documentation equivalent to Sun's Java Tutorials
> (with all the Trails etc...) ?
>
> Regards,
>
> David.

John-Reed