[ENH] Alternative EventSensor

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Tue Aug 1 04:02:03 UTC 2000

on 7/31/00 6:29 AM, Lex Spoon at lex at cc.gatech.edu wrote:

> Tim Rowledge <tim at sumeru.stanford.edu> wrote:
>>> I like the concept of time stamps.
>> So do I, unless it costs a lot - although keystroke and mouse button
>> events are usually relatively slow (ie maybe a couple of hundred aminute
>> at worst) some events (people have been considering serial or
>> socket events for example) might be much higher bandwidth and could
>> cause a problem if getting the time is costly. Something to keep an eye
>> on; some OSs provide timestamps on event, some don't. Some have
>> expensive clock() calls, some are cheap. We have to check and make sure
>> we don't make life good on one platform by ruining it on another, just
>> like always.
>>

> Hmm, I just put these two ideas together.  On Unix, the timestamps for X
> events are going to be based on a completely separate clock from the
> ones for sockets.  I guess the VM can just stamp the times itself, and
> ignore whatever X says, but something is definately lost: the input
> events will be less precise!
>
> The alternatives on Unix seem to be:
>
> 1. Only use *input events*, and allow for precise timings.
> 2. Mix all events into the same queue, but use imprecise timings.
>

> -Lex

Someone was mentioning the expensive cost of doing timestamps on the mac,
well perhaps indirectly. David Simmons at Camp Smalltalk mentioned to me a
way he used in QKS smalltalk to get microsecond timing very very cheaply.
I'll look into exploring this option.

PS I'm not sure I understand why the clock for sockets on Unix is different
than the one from X?

Custom Macintosh programming & various Smalltalk dialects
PGP Key: DSS/Diff/46FC3BE6
Fingerprint=B22F 7D67 92B7 5D52 72D7  E94A EE69 2D21 46FC 3BE6