ICFP Compition: Squeak Ray tracing entry

Rob Withers rwithers at exobox.com
Thu Aug 31 20:17:14 UTC 2000

"Raab, Andreas" wrote:

> > Something
> > about a cubic attenuation of the lighting model, which is a good
> > approximation for LA smog (or is it quartic)?
>
> No, no! You got it all wrong! These guys were located at the east cost so LA
> smog wasn't an issue for them. Unfortunately, *I* am located in LA these
> days and I assumed that their attenuation in the lighting model was based on
> LA observations. Once they figured out that they're actually on the east
> cost they changed the attenuation to quadratic which is also a better model
> for the earlier sunrise over there...
>
>   - Andreas

Andreas,

They really changed the requirements on us to a quadratic lighting
model???!!!   #&*@^@&!   I'm wondering if there is an attenuation difference
between east LA and west LA?    Anyway, I agree that tequila sunrises shouldn't
be  attenuated, but a refraction component would make all the difference cause
we could include the absorbtion coefficient! ;-)

We should make a comment to them about the cubic==>quadratic change and give
them an updated RayTracer that uses primatives.  Would you be interested in
spending a tad more time on this?  I plan to anyway...

cheers,
Rob