Morphic slowness, was: Re: The Puzzle Page

Bob Arning arning at charm.net
Thu Dec 21 16:20:19 UTC 2000

On Thu, 21 Dec 2000 11:00:31 +0100 Henrik Gedenryd <Henrik.Gedenryd at lucs.lu.se> wrote:
>Thinking about it, this may be the result of the "Blue" window look I've
>been playing with. Silly me. The translucent portions of windows may be
>causing this redraw, although it's not quite obvious that the features cause
>this particular redraw behavior. This is something I've thought of before
>that we should beware of if we change the default look: snazzier graphics
>will be expensive on slower machines. The least we'd need is a page of
>preferences for switching the various expensive features on and off.

Henrik,

Slower, and lower-resolution. I get reminded occasionally when I use a gradient that doesn't look so nice for folks in 8-bit mode. It's tough to know what percentage of present/potential users have slow/low/small machines. I agree that any expensive look should be easily turned off by those who can't afford it.

Cheers,
Bob

P.S. If you'd like me to look at redraw in the blue look, point me to the current change set.