Changing the Class of an Object

Andrew P. Black black at cse.ogi.edu
Thu Dec 14 17:53:44 UTC 2000

At 18:59 -0800 00.12.13, Dan Ingalls wrote:

>  > What I would like to
>  >do is just "overwrite the class pointer".  But I can't see a way of
>>getting at it.
>
>The short answer is, you can't do that.

Unless I build a new VM using SP's changeset ;-)  I'm not sure that
I'm up to that level of excitement ...

>The longer answer is that what you suggest will work, and it need
>not be intolerably expensive.  A couple of things to note:

Thanks very much for all of the suggestions.  I understand and agree
with all of your time saving hints.  The problem is that I would like
to build a "general purpose" Object monitoring service.  Although it
will often be the case that the object reference given to Interceptor
is the only one, I can't be sure of that (at least, not unless I find
all references, which is exactly the cost that I want to avoid!)

>Hope this helps.

It did; thanks again.  It would still be nice if SP's changset made
it as a plugin or something, for benefit of those of us who have not
yet learned to enjoy building VMs.  Or maybe that should be a project
for my Xmas vacation ...

	Andrew