Smalltalk scripting (was Re: jpython anyone?)

Aaron J Reichow reic0024 at d.umn.edu
Mon Dec 11 23:33:28 UTC 2000

On Mon, 11 Dec 2000, Brian Zhou wrote:

> For serving pages, starting the image each time is really expensive. Is
> there any thoughts on improving? I'm more from a C/C++/java/python
> background, but am willing to help.

I agree.  I think the solution for this case is a persistent image (run
under uid nobody/www/&c, like CGIs are) that is given Smalltalk code via a
socket and a C stub program, and returned the result of the code being
evaluation. I did this in a few lines of code, but without any
considerations to security related to it.

This is something I hope to look into more during Winter Break (coming up
in about a week for me).

Aaron

Aaron Reichow                   :: "In essence, Smalltalk is a programming
Twin Ports ACM Vice President   ::  language focused on human beings rather
http://www.d.umn.edu/~reic0024/ ::  than the computer." - Alan Knight