Squeak IDE Look-n-Feel

Doug Way dway at riskmetrics.com
Wed Dec 13 20:03:04 UTC 2000

Stefan Kersten wrote:

> Doug Way wrote:
> > Anyway, aside from the font issue, I think it should be possible to
> > tweak the base Morphic look so that it looks a bit more clean & sharp,
> > and friendly.  A big improvement would be to simply make the rectangles
> > in SystemWindows have raised (1-pixel-thick) borders instead of the ugly
> > black borders.  (Might need to improve the Color>>lighter/darker methods
> > with this.)
>
>   I think that using raised borders would somewhat contradict Squeaks
> slim and minimalist look and feel, and could also limit the available
> screen space (depending on the border width, of course).

I don't think raised borders would necessarily contradict Squeak's minimalist look, if they're done right.  If you stick to a raised border width of 1 pixel, the rectangles will take up no more room than the current rectangles with the 1-pixel-thick black border.  Also, 1-pixel-thick raised borders (with the right amount of contrast) don't draw as much attention to themselves as, say, 2-pixel-thick raised borders, which tend to scream "Look, I'm beveled!". :)

> Maybe the
> overall look can benefit from (optionally) antialiased icon pixmaps,
> window borders and canvas painting? Would this be hard to accomplish --
> or dramatically impact performance?

Good point.  The antialiased window border effect could be done by using a traslucent color for the border, I think?  It could impact performance, although the only way to know for sure is to test it.  A tastefully small amount of translucent colors could be nice for the Squeak look.  However, I'm not going to work on this now, maybe someone could try it later.

> > fix the lopsided "O" collapse button (yes, it is not symmetrical).
>
> Should it be? ;)

Well, an "O" in a font isn't always necessarily symmetrical, it could be tilted, etc.  But in this case, I'm pretty sure the unevenness is unintentional. ;)  (I think this is a case of using the bare minimum of code (a letter "O") to implement a collapse box, which is always a good goal, but carried a bit too far here.)

- Doug Way
  dway at mat.net