No sound on Linux with Squeak2.8

William DeMeo william.demeo at verizon.net
Fri Dec 1 21:53:13 UTC 2000

Alexander Lazarevic wrote:

<snip>

> I guess if you are using a fresh image sound should be turned
> on by default. (see the attachment where you can check that)

I checked that and, yes, it is turned on by default.

> Maybe you want to check on some other things. Is your OSS support
> really working? Your other sound applications might use some
> kind of sound daemon, like ESD (Enlightened Sound Daemon)
> with Gnome and I think KDE has a sound daemon too. You can
> check OSS support for example by playing a wav sound file with
> bplay instead of aplay in a shell.
> If OSS support is working and you are using a sound daemon,
> than try to disable that daemon before starting squeak. With ESD
> you just have to issue a killall esd or you can use a nifty little tool
> like the sound monitor applet to place ESD in standby mode.
> I don't know how it works for KDE, but there should be some
> description how to deal with that.

Thank you very much for your help, Alex.  Just as you suspected, the
following processes were running.

  553 ?        SW     0:00 [kaudioserver]
  567 ?        S      0:00 kwmsound

I killed them and tried to find the bplay program you mentioned, but
without success.  At
http://www.linux.org/apps/all/Multimedia/Audio_tools.html
I found "bufplay" described as "a command-line large-scale-buffering OSS
audio".  I suppose I'll try that.

Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> Squeak just uses the /dev/dsp device, there's nothing to configure.
>
> > I'm not even sure what are the most basic sound classes to
> > start playing with just to make sure sound is working
>
> It's class SoundPlayer. "SoundPlayer boinkScale" should always work
> because it directly uses the primitives.
>
> -- Bert

Thanks Bert.  I tried that and still get the error:
mmap: Input/output error
soundcard format = 32

I'll try now to make sure OSS is working with apps that get no help from
other sound daemons, as Alex suggested.

thanks again, william.